Just another snowy day in Utah

You hear stories about things like this. You never think they are true. I used to think that too. Then today happened.

Perhaps I ought to provide a bit of background first. Here goes.

Before I started college I had never actually ridden a public bus in the United States. I’ve ridden one in Paris and a sightseeing bus in London. But I had never gotten on a bus in the United States with the intention of getting from point A to point B. It’s not that I thought it was below me, I just never had to.

Then I moved out of the dorms. And, for like a week, my life was a panicked jumble of bus times and my school schedule. I had to try to find the delicate balance between catching the right bus and getting to school on time. I had it down…and then the semester ended. And a new one started. I worked out a schedule faster than the previous semester. Which was good. Last semester was cake. This semester, granted it is still the first week, is a little bit more difficult.

But it’s not just me this time.

Mother Nature is lending her helping hand this semester.

Helping hand. Ha.

Lemme explain. It’s winter, no? What happens in winter? Christmas? Yes but not what I’m looking for. All my sports go through the offseason? Yes, but again not what I’m looking for (and a bit of a sensitive spot I might add). No. It snows in winter. And it has done just that all day long.

Yes. All day long.

I don’t mind the snow. I really don’t. But people here in Utah do. It snows and heaven forbid they have to go anywhere. Because the roads are awful. They aren’t really. Well. They aren’t as bad as people say.

Ok. Here’s where the real story starts. Sorry to provide so much background.

I got out of class a little late today, at 150 ish. The bus leaves at 145. It was fine. I had nothing to do except my laundry. And a bit of homework. And some lunch. Besides, I only had to wait for 15 more minutes for the next one. Totally fine. Then I got to the union building, where the busses leave from. It was snowing pretty hard and there were no busses, but instead quite a few people. They were all staring in the same direction. I looked where they were looking and was suddenly very confused. For, up the road from the bus stop, was a bus. Just sitting there. Or so it seemed. We all stood there for a bit, not knowing what to do. Then a boy walked up next to me and said, “Are we supposed to go over there? What’s going on?” I replied that I had no idea. He decided he was going to go find out. Another kid decided he was going to go, too. We all watched from the bus shelter as they slowly trudged their way through the snow to the stationary bus. They got there, talked to the driver for a bit, walked around the bus, then came back to where the growing number of people was.

Mr. Decision Maker walked into the shelter and said humorously/annoyed-ly, “So, uh, the bus that is stuck has hit the curb and can’t move because it might hit the car parked in front of it. And then the bus behind it (there were two waiting now) can’t get around the stuck one. So I’d suggest you guys call your friends for a ride.” Then he walked back toward the bus.

Then a third bus showed up. And got way stuck in the line of cars that was ever growing. Because the union is apparently very busy. Who knew. #sarcasm

Now from my vantage point, there was plenty of room for the bus to get around the parked car. But someone pointed out that it might be “slippery”. Oh come on. Slippery? Doubt it. My first thought was, ‘Well then go backwards.’ Apparently that’s not a thing. Well it is. I’m getting there.

Then the police showed up. Well the campus police. He did what Decision Maker did–he talked to the driver, looked at the curb, walked abound the bus for a minute, then he got in his car. And left.

Then, salvation came in the form of a white Ford Explorer. The Explorer stopped at the real bus stop, and a man wearing a yellow UTA vest jumped out. He grabbed a shovel from the backseat, locked the car, and proceeded to saunter over to the bus. Yes. Saunter. He was so very slow.

Class got out at 150 ish. It was now 230.

UTA man did what policeman and Decision Maker did. He talked to the driver, walked around the bus, looked at the curb. Then, he got onto the bus and backed it up away from the curb, and drove right over to the actual bus stop. He then got off the bus and walked back to his Explorer. The original driver of that bus had to talk to him first. I didn’t see what they said to each other. The second bus stopped right in front of me. I ran to get on it. I was cold and hungry and had laundry to do.

A lot of people followed me onto the bus, including Decision Maker. He walked by me and flashed a triumphant smile. I smiled back and told him that this debacle counted as his adventure of the day. He laughed. And agreed. He sat down a couple rows behind me. Then I heard him start talking to another boy by him. And I heard this: “I told the driver she should just reverse to avoid that parked car and she was like, ‘I’m not allowed to reverse without my supervisor. So we’re just gonna have to wait.'”

So there was the truth. That’s a ridiculous rule. It makes sense but still. Ridiculous.

That bus line was still messed up at 530 when I went to orchestra. The bus was supposed to get there at 536. I got on it at like 545.

Oh UTA. How I wish you were not so annoying. I kinda depend on you.

I guess you could say I’m like a bus rider now or something. Didn’t see that one coming. And I totally forgot to do my laundry. Drat.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s